Everyone knows about hash brownies, or hash cookies. They are the most obvious cannabis edibles because they are accessible, easy to make, and produce a good hit.
Crucially, things like hash brownies also contain fat, and as weed is fat soluble, combining the two means that when it hits your stomach, you will get a better hit. That’s why some people get more out of it with weed edibles than they do smoking it.
But the missing link is marijuana tea. It can be the halfway house between smoking cannabis and more traditional edibles. So let’s take a look at why, and tell you two easy ways to make fantastic cannabis tea.
The Benefits Of Cannabis Tea Over Other Edibles
The thing is with things like hash brownies and cookies is although they taste great, it’s difficult to control the dose you’re getting. Because of the way the cannabis is mixed in, you just don’t know how much you’re getting until about 90 minutes after you have eaten the cookie, and then you could be in trouble for several hours.
The other point is that they are quite unhealthy. Things like cookies and brownies are stuffed full of sugar and fat. It may not be a big consideration for some people, but obviously it is for others.
So cannabis tea can be great because you don’t have to smoke the weed, and you’re not eating tons of fat and sugar. As long as you can disguise the taste of the cannabis a bit, which is pretty easy to do, then it can be quickly digestible, and give you the most intense but wonderful hit.
A Couple Of Warnings About Drinking Marijuana Tea
Before I tell you how to make cannabis tea, I just want to give you a couple of quick warnings:
- It’s difficult to dose marijuana tea. As a rule of thumb, if you know the THC content, put a zero on the end, and that’s how many milligrams will be in an average cup. However, that’s still not a great way of working things out. So you just don’t know what you’re getting until about an hour after you have drunk it.
- The other problem is that the effects can be quite long lasting. You shouldn’t drink marijuana tea before you go out, because you just don’t know what’s going to happen. You don’t want to drink a couple of cups, and then go to the cinema and find you’re a giggling idiot that has to leave.
How To Make Cannabis Tea With Butter Or Oil
Because of the fat content, it’s far better to make cannabis tea with cannabis butter or cannabis oil that’s been prepared in advance.
Both of those edibles are pretty easy to make and store, and there are tons of recipes out there. Then you just have to follow this simple process to make your marijuana tea:
- Put a large teaspoon of cannabis butter, or a couple of tablespoons of cannabis oil into a mug.
- Put in a bag of whatever type of tea that you want to use (you could use loose leaf tea but I wouldn’t recommend the extra messing around), and then pour on hot water.
- Stir the contents until the oil or butter has completely dissolved. There will still be an oily residue on the surface though, but you don’t want to be scooping that out as it will contain a lot of the THC.
- After about three minutes remove the teabag and give it another stir.
- To sweeten the tea, and get rid of some of the taste of the cannabis, mixing honey or cinnamon, or even something like brown sugar although that could be too sweet. Don’t add too much at once, just enough to cover the taste. You can always add it incrementally to your taste.
How To Make Cannabis With Ground Cannabis
Now as I’ve said, making cannabis oil or butter in advance is the best way of making your marijuana tea, it just simplifies the actual tea making process.
However, you can make weed tea with ground cannabis. It’s a little more involved, but it is possible and it will taste good.
But you will need a few more tools to complete the job. As well as a cup and teabag, you’ll still need something to sweeten it with, and also a small pot, a strainer or cheesecloth that is really fine, and a good quality coffee grinder.
- Put enough water into a small pot to fill 4 cups. Bring it to the boil, and then add a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil to get some fat content into it.
- Grind up 1 g of cannabis. Use a good quality coffee grinder, and you may have to grind it a couple of times to get it really fine. Smaller particles mean the THC will be drawn out more quickly.
- Bring the water down from the boil to a simmer, and then add in the cannabis powder. Then let it simmer for about 15 minutes or so.
- Using a cheesecloth, or a very fine tea strainer, pour the liquid through it, to get rid of any larger bits of cannabis. If you are using a cheesecloth, give it a good squeeze to get all of the liquid out. Note that this may not get all the THC out, so keep the cannabis to dry out, so you can use it again for more tea or edibles at another time, although it will be weaker.
- Add a couple of teabags to the pot and let this mixture sit for about three or four minutes. Then take the teabags back out.
- It’s best to taste the tea completely unsweetened first, and then adding a bit of cinnamon or honey. Do it a bit of a time until it gets the taste you want. It can be deceptive, so don’t put too much in at one time, otherwise it could be far too sweet to be enjoyable.
Click here to learn more about cannabis and edibles.